Wednesday 20 April 2016

Development Day Countdown Part 1 - Q&A with Sarah Jauncey


This Saturday sees another landmark day in the growth of the Women’s game. Andrew Gambrill, the Head Coach of the GB Women’s flag team has put together – with the help of others – the first development day in Chorley. This is sure to be a huge success as it not only gives players a chance to go through the motions on the field but also to test their skills beyond the gridiron. The “x’s and o’s” will come under scrutiny and players will get to know more about why they are running a certain route or why it’s important to keep that block moving.

Over the next few days we have a series of interviews with key members of the coaching set-up and players that will be involved in this fantastic day of learning.

Firstly we have the hugely experienced Sarah Jauncey.
Photo courtesy of Geoff White


 1. What is your current role, and how long have you been doing it?

Currently I am Head Coach with University of Chester, QB Coach with GB Ladies Flag, and Coach with BAFA Ladies Development, Co-Ordinator of American Football for Female Coaching Network. I have been coaching football for 5yrs, coaching in general sport for 24yrs.

2. Within this role what gives you most satisfaction?

The coaching. It's very rewarding watching a player grow and become the best that they can be through guidance and practise. Also being able to communicate and bring together other female coaches from all over the world, whilst raising the profile of women’s football.

3. How did you first get involved in the sport?

I had watched the game, and got hooked. I contacted my local club (which I found on the BAFA website), and they invited me down to a session. I spent a few weeks observing and then started taking the warm ups. From there I was mentored by my then HC Alan Winters, I progressed and when I left the club in 2014 I was Special Teams Co-Ordinator. I moved to Staffordshire where I took on the role of STC, with the team gaining a spot in the playoffs last season. I was given the Head Coachship of the Uni 3 years back, and this year we have made very positive steps to the BUCS league, a very exciting time!

4. What was the biggest obstacle for you?

To be completely honest, I have never really had any obstacles. Everyone in the game has always been very welcoming. There has been some funny obstacles, as I coach both the male and female players in both tackle and flag, asking a player in full kit to run at me whilst I demonstrate a certain skill - and the player looking at me as if I am crazy......I am only 5' tall, so asking a 6'+ guy in full kit to do this normally raises a few eyebrows!
Photo courtesy of Sophie Robinson


5. Where do you think the Women's game will be in 5 years’ time?

It is growing year on year. The women’s game is still very much in its infancy, compared to the men’s game - but year on year both Sapphire and Opal series sees new teams, and Diamond league last year saw up to 80 female players at one session. So we are 3-4yrs in, so it can really only go one way - forward. It will constantly be playing catch-up to the men’s game, as that has been around for over 30yrs in the UK so they have a head start!  As for the coaching side of the game, BAFCA are qualifying more ladies every session, so eventually having a female coach (or 2/3/4/5) will not be so unusual.

6. What are your personal goals for the future?

To keep going! I have reached as high as I currently can, but that does not mean that I will stop!!

7. If you could change one thing in the Women's set up, what would it be?

As it is, the women's set up is a great environment. Conducive to the growth and betterment of the game. As it progresses I see more females coaching females - as there is a plethora of talent coming through the players. We are not at a place yet where there is a progression from playing to coaching, (as there is in the men’s game), but it will happen. Looking towards the future, a junior/youth league for girls would be a great addition!!

8. Any advice for women wanting to take up the sport?

To steal a well-known phrase.....Just Do It! There is tackle and flag out there so there is something for everyone. Give it a try, go along to one of the BAFA Development Days where you can try it in a secure and safe environment. You never know what you can do until you try..... These Girls Definitely Can!

No comments:

Post a Comment