Thursday 21 April 2016

Development Day Countdown Part 2 - Q&A with Phoebe Schecter


Our countdown to the BAFA Women’s flag development day this Saturday continues, and today we are fortunate enough to have a few questions answered by one of the veterans of the game here. For a long time now Phoebe Schecter has been one of the leading lights both on and off the field. Leading by example she has become in some ways a perfect unofficial ambassador for the Women’s game.



1. What is your current role within the game aside from playing?

My current roles are: Head Coach Staffordshire Surge Women's team and Special Teams Co-ordinator for Staffordshire Surge men.  I also assist with the GB Women's team s&c programmes and fitness advisor.

2. Recently you helped out with a development day with the Staffordshire Surge. How did that come about?

I ended up taking over the Surge women's team from Sarah Jauncey, back in February.  I spoke to the Surge ladies and offered them an intro to contact session, to decide if we will continue with flag, or perhaps progress to contact. This is the girl's team, and I am happy to support them whether they decide to play contact or flag. I had an outline of the day in my head, and knew just the coaching staff for the job as well. I thought it would be a powerful experience for the ladies and the Academy to be taught by women with such experience and all with GB honors. I was so proud to stand on the field with a completely female coaching staff, teaching the next generation.

3. Being a senior member of GB squads, does this put pressure on you to perform?

I would be lying if I said that people don't have certain expectations of me to perform. However, I don't put pressure on myself when it comes down to practice or the game.  I put in the hard work outside of practice, i.e., workouts, playbook, nutritionally, rest, prehab, etc. When it comes to game day, I rely on my instincts, because when I am on that field, everything other than those 22 players are blocked out.

4. What was your personal experience of the Euro Championships last summer?

It was a well organised, professional and unbelievable experience, that I feel honored to have been a part of.  The atmosphere was contagious and you couldn't help but be excited to be there. Our coaching staff and team were all made to feel like complete professionals. The entire week, we didn't have to think of anything other than our job at hand. Women's American Football is so unique, as at the end of the tournament, all the teams gathered together to celebrate the experience together as friends, not rivals.

5. Which type of game do you prefer, flag or contact?

That is a tough one! I love contact and everything about it; I wish I had this sport when I was younger! That is not to say there isn't a place for flag, I really enjoy flag as well! I think it is great for fitness and to teach the game, plus work on your fundamentals. At this moment in my life though, contact is superior. I couldn't imagine not putting on my kit, running onto the field, and tackling someone at full speed.

6. With Women coaches making progress in the States, is this something that interests you in pursuing?

I am actually coaching now, which I absolutely love! It is so rewarding and I am so fortunate to be able to give back to the game. It was a bit of a challenge at first, to change my mind set from player to coach, but now I love to see the ladies and men's progression week in and week out.

7. Your personal ambitions for 2016?

I would love to make the GB squad again for our game against Spain. We are just coming off the back of the close, of our domestic season, where the Birmingham Lions have won the national title for the 3rd year running. I also am going to start playing with the Surge Adult team, as a bit of a challenge for myself. I want to continue to help this sport grow for women in this country, whether they play or coach, we need both.

8. Any advice for potentials players wanting to start playing?

Come down and give it a try, you won't be disappointed! There is a position for everyone and we are a hugely diverse and welcoming community. You don't need to know anything about the sport, most of us didn't when we started. If you work hard and give it 100%, that is all that people ask.  If you are looking for a team near you or upcoming events, check out BAFA Women's Football on Facebook. I can't promise that you won't fall in love with this sport.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see Phoebe getting the recognition she deserves, a lady that has tie for almost anyone who takes the time to chat to her

    ReplyDelete