Friday 22 April 2016

Development Day Countdown Part 3 - Q&A with Jade Archibald


One day away from the BAFA Women’s Flag Development and for those involved the preparation has been thorough and exact. Those words can also carry true to the play and mind set of a player/coach that has been a constant fixture amongst the Women’s flag set up, and beyond.

Today we thank Jade Archibald of the Northants Titans, a Coach, QB, CB, Centre for answering a few questions for us.

 


1. What was your first game experience like?

Wow, what a rush!  I remember it vividly.  At the time I was playing in a mixed team, and only 1 of 2 women, amongst a tribe of men.  It was absolutely awesome.  Stepping onto the field, to start warm up, I was immensely nervous, so many self-doubting thoughts went through my head ‘what if I missed a tackle, what if I let the team down….’  I managed to pull myself together and as soon as the whistle went I settled into the Middle Linebacker role! 

I can only describe it as the most invigorating 40 minutes of my life, and from that moment, I knew I was absolutely hooked!  I managed to hold my own, despite being outsized, I wanted more!  And couldn't wait for our next game day!




2. From that experience, what advice would you give to those wanting to take up the game?

If you don’t try, you will never know!  I was really unfit, I had never played a hand ball sport, (wow that’s a mouth full) I was into hockey, swimming and cross country running.  My first ever session with the Northants Titans was terrifying....but the Coaches were patient, and soon I started to get it.   My fitness improved, and my sense of belonging was overwhelming.   I had joined a team that really cared, that wanted to have fun, and I felt like I was a part of something bigger than myself.

This is a very far reaching feeling, as the culture of American Football, is such a family feel, everyone is so passionate about growing the sport, about building something that is truly sustainable for the future.  I am immensely proud to be a part of the footballing community!  We are making things happen, and we building a legacy for future athletes!


3. Describe your current role within the Women's game setup?

Well, I am a little bit of a sucker for variety and I LOVE me some structure and organisation, so here goes: I am a player first and foremost.  I play QB mainly, as well as Cornerback.  Recently I have been working on my Centre skills.  I, along with a few other Coaches, started the Northants Titans Women's Team, which I now Coach and Lead the team.  I also have a BAFA Role, which supports the setup and organisation of the Opal Series. I am obsessed about growing ladies flag in the UK, so tend to get involved with BAFA behind the scenes to bring things together.


Later this summer the Northants Titans will be hosting the first Summer Series Tournament, as a further opportunity for ladies across the UK to play competitively (in the not so freezing months.



4. How far do you think the Women's game can go in the UK?

Without a shadow of a doubt ALL THE WAY, from being part of our schools curriculum's, to running a Women’s league, equal to or greater than the mixed league at the moment.  More players, more games, more fun!  I have been a part of the sport for 3 short years, and in that time the number of players has almost doubled, new teams are developing every year, across both the flag format and contact.  It's a great time to be a part of women's football in the UK.

The foundations have been set incredibly well, by our very own Coach Jim Messenger and Coach Andrew Gambrill.  The momentum of the sport is about to reach tipping point, and we just need to be ready to embrace developing teams, support them to learn the sport, and provide a competitive route for all players.

Last year we saw the first ever GB Kitted and GB Flag Teams being selected, this was a significant moment in the sports history, and signifies to those getting involved at the grass-roots, that the sky is the limit, if you have the drive and motivation to get there!

Base on the current growth in Women's Football, I believe we will see continued growth over the next few years, which will change the way we play today, with further focus at the grass-roots level, to ensure that we have a healthy pipeline of competitive players coming through.

5. What would you change to spread the word about the Women's game?

There is nothing in particular I would change, but there are a few observations that I have made in the last few years. For me, as a predominantly flag player, the time of year the Flag Women’s League is played is in the coldest of winter…. Now this makes you one hell of a tough player!  If you can play in gale force winds, sleet and very heavy rain, you are ‘BAD ASS’, that said, for Rookie or Developing teams, this can add extra complexity.  A simple change to when the Ladies Season is held, may be the answer. This will also allow women who play other spots, soccer or rugby to enter into the Footballing world, as these skills are very transferable across spots, as most other spots are played during winter months.  This may give the sport an extra boost!

I also believe that every team, every Coach has a duty and a responsibility to support further growth, either through their local sports teams, universities or communities.  It’s up to us, to support Rookie teams, to show them the ropes, and to set them up for success.  The BAFA organised Development Days, are a great way of introducing new players in a safe and structured environment.  BUT we CAN DO MORE. 


6. Who personally, has been the biggest influence on your game?

This is a really really tough one! There are so many people, that have shaped the player and Coach I am today, my crazy husband Dan, for inviting me to my first ever session, without him, I would never have even thought to get involved.  Coach Gambrill for inviting me to take part in my first ever ladies tournament, at which time I was even more hooked!  Which subsequently lead to The Titans starting to explore the concept of our very own Women’s Team.  That said, the most overwhelming thing about Women's Flag Football is the players, the sense of community, the friendships and FUN!  It keeps me coming back week in, week out.

7. How would you encourage someone who was unsure if this is the sport for them?

From my experience of coaching rookie players, who have never picked up a football in their life, or seen a game, it’s all about baby steps.  I have a few ladies in this very position at the moment, and it’s all about positivity and confidence!  I firmly believe that anyone could be great at playing football, with the right mind-set, and the right fundamentals.

I like to work alongside my players, supporting them every step of the way, breaking things down and building things back up, so they understand how certain tasks are executed and their role to play within the team.

For me it’s about really knowing each player as individual's, understanding how they learn, and then adapting myself to get the best out of them.  People are different, and therefore I know I need to flex my style to suit their needs.

I am a firm believer of building trust, a team that trust each other, will excel on the field, I tend to promote a sense of community and fun, so that we can break down a few barriers and get to work!  It’s a really safe environment, and reinforcing that is very important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment